Friday, May 1

Tra-la it's May!

It's May, it's May, that lusty month of May.

I love the looks of May day flower baskets, and May poles. My Grandma Butters tells us that she was Queen of the May when she was in High School. She has never really told me much about the event except that the honor went to the most popular girl in school.....the 1920's, those were the days!


One year Gary and I were in Baltimore Maryland for May Day and the flower baskets on almost every door were a sight to behold.


There is something cute about a May Pole dance in photos. It is usually little girls in wonderful dresses with flowers in their hair, looking very enchanted, however if you have to watch elementary school kids dance the May pole dance it is not so cute...it gets long and very boring for the participants and the audience.
.....I know, I know, May Day is International Labor Day, that it is celebrated in Europe, and that it comes from pagan traditions, but hey, any reason to celebrate.....I guess the May Day celebrations that seem so wonderful to hear about and to look at photos of is a thing of the past.
Maybe I'll start my own new/old May Day traditions!
MCC

No comments: