Wednesday, November 16

Visiting Teaching

I am thankful that I am a visiting teacher. Once upon a time Visiting Teaching was seen as a burden in my life.....To make appointments and get with my partner was a chore, and It would cause me all kinds of grief.......probably because I knew I should be doing it and I didn't get it done. 
Anyway after having two very stalwart companions who set up permanent appointments with those we were to visit with, it became much easier to accomplish and eventually I looked forward to the visits with the sisters we were assigned to.
I am thankful for this opportunity for many reasons: first it gets me involved with other people. I have made life long friends with not only those I visit with but also my companions. I have the opportunity to give service as a visiting teacher.  Sometimes the service is as minimal as a listening ear. I love not only hearing the message from my teachers but also getting to look at it from a teaching stand point..... what message does the Lord ant me to deliver to this sister?
When I look back over the years as a visiting teacher one of my favorite times was when I was Megan's partner. This time spent with her in service of others was very enjoyable and enlightening....Megan's view on the monthly topics was often fresh and eye opening. Megan tells me that this is when she learned to love to visit teach...I am glad I was a good example.
As RS pres. visiting teaching was a huge task, setting up the partnerships and who they would visit.. People moving in and out, the problems some sisters had with those they taught and vice a verse a......crazy. But it was also a very spiritually rewarding experience to have stewardship over. There were so many times when I felt the spirit so strong in regards to who should visit who. I would then watch closely to see what lessons were possibly learned or what service was rendered and knew why those sisters had to be in this place at that time. I know that I couldn't have accomplished this assignment without the Lords help. I know Visiting Teaching is truly and inspired program.

I am thankful to be a visiting teacher.

MCC

No comments: