Saturday, January 17

Painting

It must be mid January....I'm painting.....again....and I'm not painting artistic hang on the wall paintings either.
I didn't realize that this is when I paint until Megan said that she has spent several winter holidays painting. Thinking back I have usually begun my painting in January or February...I'll pick a room or two that needs to be painted or is ready for a change, (must be the mid winter blues) and then begin the painting process...and yes it is a process.
It's not like I can just paint the walls white....now there is nothing wrong with white, but I love color, bold, and bright, and the emotional change color brings to any space. Remember I have bright yellow, red, purple, and various greens currently painted in the house so white is not an option here.
Back to the process...picking the color...everyone who lives here thinks that they have a choice in the matter and share their opinions freely (remember it took years to finally paint my bedroom). Next in the process is the worst part, the preparation... cleaning the walls, taping, and draping. For some reason no one wants to help with this step. All opinions and helping hands disappear....except for Megan, she will grudgingly help out because of the guilt that I heap on her...I am so glad that she caves. Finally I (and some times I get others to join in if I do enough arm twisting...usually Megan), get to apply the color...up and down, roll and brush, applying two or more coats of paint, and then I hold my breath hoping that it might slightly resemble the color selected....and ...yes we have a winner.
Now for the next layer of decorating....(my room is still lacking this step).
This year the winners in the painting lottery are are Gary's new office space (Nelson's old room), the blue portions of Hayden's room, and if I can stand the mess and I still have the energy the Loft and the basement family/game room. The only space that really NEEDS the painting is the loft...it is still white from the original painting done 14 years ago. As for the other rooms, the basement was the first room to get a color make over but that was almost 10 years ago, the wall's in the new office/old bedroom are worse for wear so why not some new color to go along with a new purpose, Hayden's room is getting a mini make over in the room changing process so out with the blue paint...blue paint that was a disaster from day one.
So far the only color that has been selected is the tan paint for the office. Gary and I selected (and did it quite quickly) 'Pismo Dunes', the closet is getting a new coat of white paint and also the trim. Hayden thinks he is keeping the 'orange' wall in his room, but wants the blue one gone...more orange? I will need new bedding for a different sized bed so more orange is a possibility. As for the loft and basement colors...the dreaming has begun. With the changes to theses rooms other things will have to be done...carpet, furniture, etc... so it will be a long process and may not be completed until 2010...it all depends on the stress, mess, how much energy and money we have.
Off to paint some more!
MCC

1 comment:

Melwel said...

I have painting plans too...but something always seems to get in my way...hopefully you will inspire me.