Sunday, June 7

Refining Ones Self

If we could part the veil and observe our heavenly home, we would be impressed with the cultivated minds and hearts of those who so happily live there. I imagine that our heavenly parents are exquisitely refined. In this great gospel of emulation, one of the purposes of our earthly probation is to become like them in every conceivable way so that we may be comfortable in the presence of heavenly parentage and, in the language of Enos, see their faces “with pleasure” (Enos 1:27).

This is the opening paragraph of a great article I read in the June 2009 Ensign. It is titled Our Refined Heavenly Home, by Elder Douglas Callister of the Seventy.
After reading this article I think that it is interesting to note how unrefined as a society we have become. I have been pondering the idea that if we are to emulate and become like our Heavenly Parents then we had better change and refine our ways.

I know that my speech could use improvement. I not only need help with grammar and diction, but I need help with speaking in positive ways and not allowing myself to sink into the speech norms that abound today.......think of the bashing and profanities we hear all around us. An area of speech that really peeves me, especially in the Church, is the inability of the youth and some adults to prepare and deliver a proper, appropriate talk. "I was asked to speak on.....", Is not the proper introduction for any speech. Looking at past education practices, I know that our societies ability to succeed and excel in all areas of our education and employment would markedly improve if we were to make public speaking classes mandatory for graduation........you should have heard a few of the job interviews we recently held. I was not impressed with the applicants ability to communicate with me, so why would we heir them and I let them loose on the public? I learned so much in my public speaking classes in High School and College, not only how to prepare an deliver a speech, but how to be a good communicator in my all speaking and writing.

Literature, Art and Music were also talked about in this article. We have abandoned the classic art forms for things that couldn't hold a candle to the master pieces we have access to in most public libraries. When was the last time you read a tabloid? When was the last time you read Tolstoy? What about great art, do you know what great art looks like, and why it is great? Was the last piece of art you looked at the TV? I'm not saying that TV can't offer great works of art, but come on how lasting will According To Jim be in comparison to one of Shakespeare Plays?

I am now on a refinement campaign, even if it is only in my own home. We are on a quest to emulate our Heavenly parentage, to become worthy to enjoy the refined society of Heaven.
MCC

No comments: