Monday, December 1

Thanksgiving Movies

Okay, I have seen the top 5 grossing movies for Thanksgiving weekend....and I only went to one movie this weekend....the rest I saw weeks ago in screenings...ah the perks of my job.

Australia Is a good movie. If you want a Western, a WWII movie and a Romance this is the movie for you. Yes, it is very long but the length didn't bother me.
Hugh Jackman!! Hugh Jackman larger than life in this film. He is fabulous!! He comes cross strong, tough, a mans- man, romantic, and emotional. Showing the male leads emotional side is not normal for most films, but it was so touching in this movie. He was wonderful -- If this film were as big as flop as some critics think I would still see this movie just for Hugh. I think that he is fine actor and not bad to look at. Nicole Kiddman does a nice job, and directs the story along nicely. But it is Brandon who plays Nullah who is the star of, and steals this movie. Brandon is an Aborigine child who has never acted before. He is charming and lovable and has an all around depth of character that is remarkable. His depth is something uncommon to even adult actors...it is probably because he comes from such a state of innocence just like his character. Director Baz Lhurman shows his influences as a director with this movie. He is known for some bold choices in his previous work but this movie is very straight forward. Without giving anything away, my recommendation is that you see this movie, if not for the entertainment value, or the Hugh Jackman eye candy, go see it just to hear the unknown story of the Stolen Generation in Australia. The cinematography is stunning,the costumes magnificent and the emotional tug of the heart is worth it. My 17 year old nephew said he cried 3 times, I did too....oh by the way if you haven't figured out my obsession by now...Hugh Jackman is in this movie!!!!!
P.S. You will hear "Somewhere Over The Rainbow " with re-newed ears.
I'd give it a B+

MCC

No comments: