Thursday, May 13

Wow, What a Book


I don't often finish a book and want to re-read it....but that is exactly what I have done after my first reading of Remembering Isaac, The Wise and Joyful Potter of Niederbipp by Ben Behunin. Of course I am also reading the next book in the series, Discovering Isaac....... I had better read quickly since the third and final book in the series is supposed to be released in July 2010.... I will probably read them all several times....YES, I find/am finding them that good.
Remembering Isaac was on my reading list and in my reading pile, but I had several other books stacked in front of it. When it was chosen for our neighborhood book club selection for May I thought I will get to it, and hopefully through most of it by book club.....there are months when I haven't even read the book by club time, the discussion isn't as good, but I always read them eventually...... However when the May hostess said that she had invited the author to come and speak with us I thought I had better move that book forward and put a little more time into my reading and finish of the book. I am so glad that did.
The lessons taught in this book are so powerful. They are truths that we all know and want to model our lives after. Without giving it all away it is simple to say that through a back door approach we are all taught how to be like Jesus, to be better Chirtians. After listening to author Ben Behunin speak I can tell that he lives these truths, is part of the stories, the people and the experiences he writes about. Ben is a Potter by trade and an author because he had the stories to tell and out of necessity needed to do something else for a bit.....truly God may close a door, but he opens a window.
At book club Ben didn't discuss the book necessarily, but he told his story and how come the book came to be....In his telling I could hear the voices of the people from Niederbipp that he wrote about and I understood better the man behind the book and why he had to write it.
One of the truths that came to me while he was speaking was that we all can receive inspiration through the Holy Ghost if we would be still, listen then act. Another truth that came to me while reading the book is that the best parts of life are found in the simple, small things. This Book has also inspired me to re-think and examine me; to think more about what and who I really want to be and then to have the courage to jump in with both feet and do it.....of course while applying the principles taught in the New Testament and this book.
I could tell you Ben Behunin's story but that you can discover most of it in the books......However I will be more than happy to share the other stuff I learned about him if you will read the books and then discuss them with me.... I think that you will really enjoy them if you haven't already read them.
And if you every have an opportunity to hear Ben Behunin speak or see him at Costco you should take a listen. He also has a Pottery shop where he sells his beautiful pottery........I may just have to go for a visit and to buy....and maybe he will share some of his wisdom.

MCC

No comments: