Tuesday, May 18

The Best Days of the Month

2 times a month I meet with a group of women in our ward for Scripture Study Group. This group was started about 5 years ago when I was RS Pres. We were looking for activity groups for the sisters and this is one everyone wanted to have, unfortunately not as many attend. Anyway we asked Marilyn Huefner a brilliant woman in our ward to lead the group. She graciously accepted and not only leads the group discussion and study, but has allowed us into her home. Originally we had 1 group that would meet at nights. After a few months Marilyn decided that she had the time and that there was a need for a daytime group as well. Both groups were functioning along nicely with about 6 sisters in each group. Last year however the evening group began to shrink so it was abandoned and the few sisters that were still attending came to the daytime group. I have been to both groups, but when the daytime group started up I was there.
We decided to study the scriptures in the "Preach My Gospel" book. Our reasoning was that it was a great book to study, that the information in the book and scriptures we would study would be a cross section of the standard works, and all of would help us better understand the doctrine and help us be better missionaries. Several men wanted to join, but we decided that keeping it women only we might be more open to discussion....and not feel so dumb.
To say Scripture Group days are the some of the best days of the month would be an understatement. I come away spiritually feed and hungering for more. I don't really know why I have such wonderful feelings following Scripture Group.......I read and study the scriptures daily....but there is just a different feeling and understanding after Scripture Group.
We haven't moved very fast through the Preach My Gospel lessons and scriptures, but fast would mean we would miss things. We have been slow and steady, looking at the foot notes and cross refrences. We often read the Joseph Smith Translations of the Bible, and what the Brothern have said concerning certain passages. Through our study and discussion I have heard thoughts and ideas from theses other women; each one has brought up things I might never have thought of myself or ever heard of. Their wealth of knowledge is amazing.
I have learned things from the scriptures that I probably never would have figured out on my own simply because we take a bit longer than I usually take during my personal and our family scripture study.
After Scripture Group study I am a better person, or at least want to try to be a better person. I often come home and continue my study of the things that were taught. I have insights that I can share with my family in our family scripture study and in turn they share more with me.
Gary has often said that we need to go to Church at least once a week for many reasons, the first being so that we will remember. A few other reasons are to learn and for the social interaction with others who are like minded. I have feelings similar to those I feel from my Sunday Church meetings when I attend Scripture Study Group.
It must the rubbing of shoulders with good, christian women who hunger and thirst for the good word.
MCC

No comments: