Friday, April 30

Letters to Juliet & Italy

Today Megan and I attended the screening of Letters to Juliet. It was a sweet romantic movie....I would not recommend this movie to men or those who are very skeptical when it comes to romance.
It was an interesting story that is based on a book and the tales of the women who write letters to Juliet...yes the Romeo & Juliet, Juliet and leave them on the wall of her home in Verona, Italy. Apparently there is a group called the Secretaries to Juliet in Verona Italy who remove the letters and answer those that they can.

Amanda Sigfried is sweet and surprisingly good as Sophie the wlead in this movie......yes, we loved that she had the same character name as in her Mama Mia role. There are a few other moments in this movie that are also reminiscent of Mama Mia to me..... The stand out in this movie is of course Vanessa Redgrave. She is such an excellent actress. Through the whole movie I kept thinking that if I were the young actors in this movie, I would have been awed to be working with and hopefully learning from her. To me Vanessa Redgraves strength as an actress comes in her ability to 'think and process' her acting.....one of her lines from the film is "the best parts of life are in the messy bits." She says this in response to her grandson, and to watch her face and mind process what was said to her and her reaction to it, is classic, good acting.....an acting class in a moment. Anyway she is a favorite of mine. She is still is a great actress and looks so good at her age. (I figured that Vanessa would be always beautiful especially after seeing her daughter Natasha Richardson in person. Several years ago we ran into her coming out of a hotel and were struck by her beauty; she was stunning to look at.) Another interesting bit in this movie is Franco Nero.....the last time I remember seeing Vanessa and Franco together was in the movie Camelot....lets just say he too has aged beautifully.There were moments when I leaned over to Meg and said I wish that they would go back to Franco Nero, just so I could look at him......

The ultimate star of the film is defiantly the scenery of Italy. Italy is so visually attractive.....
Siena Italy

Tuscany ...somewhere
I don't think that there is a bad location in this movie......and for me, seeing the beautiful parts of Italy is always good. We will be seeing some more of Italy this summer when Eat, Love, Pray comes out.....It will probably be more popular than this movie. It too is based on a book. It's book and star however are much more popular than this one. Even though ELP will get a lot of press I am pretty sure, after reading ELP (which I didn't like at all), that it will no way compare to Letters to Juliet in touching the heart.
As on of the characters in the movie says "Buy stock in Air Italia. That is what you should do before women find out about this (letter writing to Juliet).

AHH Italy, you are such a favorite.....All my senses are touched when I am there or even look at pictures. I understand why the food is so good, the art so fantastic and the attitude so optimistic. I would love to spend some extended, quality time there. I keep telling everyone that we should celebrate my 50th birthday with a trip to Italy..... Italy is and always will be a favorite.
MCC

Yes, the painting project is progressing.....

No comments: