Saturday, August 8

.....It was Interesting....... Better Than I Expected.

Had my 30th high school reunion last night.........it was interesting, better than I expected.
When we arrived everyone was gathering, picking up name tags, a few small groups chatting, some were drinking. I commented to Gary that everyone looks like grown ups, their parents, or the parents of your kids friends......we all had aged, some better than others.....actually the women had aged the best some still looked just the same. The men well, you could put some of the names with faces, but for the most part I had to look at their name tags to match them up. The big surprise was all the gray hair.....come on you can do something about that. My attitude comes from living with hairdressers for to long. I said a quick hello to a few folks who I felt comfortable speaking with, stopped, looked around again and decided that I was going to have to just jump and talk to people......most were like me standing around with their spouse or a friend they came with with a miserable look on their faces that said something like 'Now why did we come?' Gary couldn't help me out, he really didn't know these people and he had already said hello to the 3 people he knew in the room.....so I zeroed my sights on a man and his wife standing close by. I did a quick scan of the name tags and realized that I really did know this person, I could talk to him and that began my night of stepping out. I knew I had to make the first move people tell me that I come across pretty unapproachable......... so I jumped in. I had decided that I would not talk about the past......so I checked on every ones current stats: their families---children, they all will talk about their kids or grandkids----, where they now live, occupation, etc.....Things went really well, then it was time to sit down for our dinner. Time to begin again. We could play it safe or be daring.....We decided not to be safe and scanned tables looking for those who looked lonely. We sat by two girls who I had gone to school with since kindergarten. We were shortly joined by another kindergarten friend and her husband, and by two couples who never would have sat by any of us back in high school, but hey things change....their HS friends hadn't saved them a place. Earlier I had spoken to the last two couples briefly, and commented to Gary that one of the guys in high school was a real ***. After watching him the rest of the evening I realized he is insecure and and probably was back then as well. He would try too hard to be cool, a ladies man, etc... and most thought he was all it.....he has mellowed a little. He has a paunchy gut, gray hair and wrinkles and just like the rest of us he isn't 17 anymore.In attendance were those who tried to stay in high school, but they were very few in number......A few good ole' boys who will never change. The 'popular, easy girls'. Still easy but not as popular as they once were. We no longer care to be one of them.... so the 6 of them kept together. Gary laughed at these ladies because they were dressed too young and inappropriate and were trolling for new husbands. For the most part we had all grown up and couldn't have cared less about the past HS crap......yeah! One of my old friends said she fretted about what to wear, like most of us did, then decided who cares and wore what she wanted. I too looked for something smashing and new to wear but ended up wearing an old dress that I felt good in....it is a purple dress and I crazied it up with my green shoes and green Sapphire earrings and necklace....the newest item was probably 4 years old.....Gary wore his bright golden yellow button front shirt with a black sports coat and slacks......I thought we looked pretty darn good......better than most.
I would have loved to observe the whole room and not participated......it would have been fascinating to really see who was who,who thought theirs didn't stink and were there to impress, who could of cared less,who was lost and lonely, and what was what. Even as a participant I found it interesting for me personally and as an observer to see who would acknowledge who, who would hug you, who would really speak with you, who was bothered, who made passing eye contact, gave a quick wave, a cold shoulder, or a weak smile, etc....I had some pleasant surprises come my way.
Skip this part if you want---Me being bad---My mom will be glad to learn that a girl she did not like still seemed annoyed to see me. She gave me the head to toe look over swallowed and tried to be nice then walked away.... Probably because I looked so much better than she does.....she has no chin, gained a few lbs.....just like most of us, glasses, and a few too many wrinkles,she looks just like her mother.
The evening was last minute emceed by a classmate who has been a news reporter. Apparently we have a few who could have done the job with the same credentials. The surprise for me was seeing the class president don silly glasses, flood pants and a bad sports coat and pretend to be our assistant Principal Rulon Hommer...he was dead on with his phrases and did a great job....surprise, surprise, surprise. Rulon had been asked to come and emcee the program but couldn't so he wrote a note to us remembering our class. The part that I found interesting was He said he was moving into his new office at the school district and began looking at our yearbook and before long was joined by 3 other top guys in the school district including the Superintendent, all of whom were our teachers at BHS..........The video presentations were nice....too long, but nice. Awards were given out and by the time the hired band could play many just wanted to talk not dance, and many more just left.
My Awards: I tied for the most children who have graduated from BHS. The other two will beat me out by next reunion.I was second for living closest to the school.
I am on the committee for our reunion in 5 years....yes, I need more to do and I will no longer have kids in school.
My goal for the next reunion is not to make me over....to superficial....I'm no longer in high school, it's not about me......my goal is to get more people to attend.....I know 5 who turned down coming with me this time.....for all kinds of crazy 'hate high school' reasons. I will start on them right away.
......yes,it was very interesting.
MCC

No comments: