Monday, February 1

Monday Movie....heartburn

it is defiantly a heartburn Monday.
With the Academy Award Nominations not coming out until tomorrow, my job booking movies has been a nightmare today.
everyone is holding their movies until the nominations are announced in hopes that they can breath new life into their picture......some of these movies are down to their last breath and need to be put on my screen before being put down.
There are several movies that I should be booking to play at the theatre. they have played for a long time first run. A few are currently not even on screen, but no...we can't show them until the nominations come out.
I am down to 4 movies for 6 time slots....my choice. 2 of the movies we had were real dogs at bringing in the bucks so i nixed them....that is why I am down to 4. Now I could bring in a really lame movie or two as place holders until next week, but why spend the money having it shipped, made up to show and on advertising when I know it won't play well (not a good choice financially) and will be taken off the screen after one week?
Next week i already know of three films that we can have....they will all do well and so then I will have another set of problems...what theatre to show them in and at what times?
I will also get calls beginning tomorrow afternoon offering me a few other titles as well...they won't get nominations.
This same thing (no movies available) happens again the week before the actual awards show......
I guess I know it is coming year after year, but it is still a pain. Hollywood need to make more movies....the old B type movies would even be a good choice. But i guess it does down to money for them as well....why spend all of that money on a movie that may flop.

Some days my job is so easy....I know that movies that we will show that week at 8:00 am Monday morning. Other days , like today, there is nothing to show, no phone calls from the film companies, no hope of something coming along at the last minute, nothing, even when I have begged.
I have put it all off long enough time to make a few decisions......
It's movie time!
MCC

No comments: