Tuesday, November 25

A Thankful Heart

I received an e-mail from Andy Andrews today-- he is the author or the "The Travelers Gift" a great book with wonderful life lessons and Decisions for Success. His e-mail was about a grateful prospective. Here is an excerpt from his e-mail;
--Did you know that if you have cash in your wallet and a jar on your dresser that collects loose change, you are considered "prosperous" by more than 90% of the world's population? If you have food in a refrigerator, clothes in addition to the ones you are wearing, and a roof over your head at night, you are more fortunate than 75% of the people in the world.Did you know that there are more than two billion people who cannot read? If you attend church without fear of arrest or harassment, you have a freedom in your life that three billion in the world do not enjoy.
If you are healthy, you are conspicuous by your vitality. Current statistics show that 1,050,000 people will die this very week.
When I take stock of my blessings, I am embarrassed by the things that bother me. If the electricity is out, I can become unhappy quickly. Rarely do I think about the months of uninterrupted service. Cable television, the gas stove, heat in the winter, air conditioning in the summer, clean sheets ... all these are things that seemingly exist in my life without any grateful acknowledgment on my part. Yet there are billions of people who will never experience any of these luxuries.
One of my friends recently talked to an exchange student from an impoverished country. As they compared and contrasted her experiences in the United States with her home, she remarked, "You Americans get to complain about the nicest things."
Wow! Is that me? Sadly, I must confess to my share of complaints ...
This Thanksgiving Day, my family will team up to meet the challenge of a grateful spirit. We will all work on a list of the things for which we are grateful. If you'd like to join us, create a numbered list for your family that reaches at least one hundred. Place the list in a heavily trafficked area like the kitchen and add to it all day long. Urge your guests to participate. How far can our families go? How quickly can our families create a lasting, grateful spirit?--

Andy is great,he has such a positive outlook on life... I feel just like him,embrssed by my complaining when I am so blessed.
I love the idea of creating a list... I guess I already had the idea yesterday. So here it goes again....my first 25
(I will list what I am thankful for without the editorializing...maybe this will help with the tears!?!?!)
1. Gary 2. Family--Jordan, Laurie, Megan, Nelson & Hayden, also Mom & Dad, Grandma Butters, The Welch's,The Cole's,The Brown's, Liz & Al, Bill & Mary,The Call's...alright if you are family I am thankful for you..you are also supportive,kind,loving and great examples.
3. Membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 4.Nice home 5. Employment 6.Plenty of food 7. Washer & Dryer 8.Public Utilities 9. Working Autos
10. Air conditioning/central heating 11. Sundays 12. Telephones 13. clothing 14. Computers & the Internet 15. Mail 16. Chocolate 17. Diet Coke 18. Christmas 19. Four seasons 20. Grandmas Pool 21.Sunsets 22. TV 23. Movies 24. Photographs 25. The Book of Mormon
I am working on my grateful spirit.
Till tomorrow
MCC

No comments: