Tuesday, November 3

A New Driver!

It was Hayden's 16th birthday yesterday........so yesterday afternoon I went with him to the DMV and he is now a legal driver.
When everyone else in the house is a legal driver it is kind of hard remembering that Hayden is dependant on us to get to and from places....no more, now he just wants to know what car he can take.

This morning it all began with "Me, Car, to School, your thoughts." He is a teenager you can tell from his sentence structure.....anyway we let him take the Smart Car to School.
As I watched him back out of the driveway I thought he is growing up......I wasn't worried about his skills as a driver, Hayden is a good driver. He has done a lot of it. We let the kids drive too and from the Theatre when they are learning to drive so the get a lot of time behind the wheel on and off the freeway.....which can be the scariest part of driving.
All of my kids have been good beginning drivers...unlike their mother. In the first few years of driving Jordan received the most tickets for speeding, dumb things and wrecks. Megan had and still has had no tickets and has only been a passenger for the wrecks. Nelson - no tickets, but had a fender bender coming out of the high school. Hopefully Hayden will be like Megan, then again he is a boy and their insurance rates are higher for a reason......
The good thing about Hayden is that he is a rule follower.....the current state law is no driving anyone but immediate family for the first 6 months you have your license.......so I know that he won't be dragging kids too and from school and getting into trouble..... He gets excited when people don't follow the speed limit....he will say "It is called a speed limit not a speed suggestion." He seems to err on the side of caution which is really no error at all. I hope that he continues on in his law abiding cautious ways.

The hardest part of of this driving thing is that my baby boy is growing up...... I want him too grow up, but at the same time a small part of me wishes that he was still my little buddy who did everything with me, who was dependant on me, who was the perfect little gentleman where ever we went.....he still is a gentleman......but he's no longer little.

Time drives on.......and also Hayden!
MCC

No comments: