Wednesday, November 11

Grandma Butters

Grandandma Butters passed away yesterday.......it was a bittersweet day for all.
Grandma Butters you will be missed.
Granny B was one of the great ones. This noble lady exhibited grace, wit and wisdom to the end. Her example of a valiant lady, who endured gracefully through her mortal life is one I want to emulate.
I know that she loved me, all of the family, Grandpa Butters and the gospel.
She showed that love by word and deed.
Grandma would have been 94 years old on Friday November 13....she had a long liver.....
She was born in Morgan Utah in 1915 to George Sylvester and Elsie Clawson.
She would speak of her life in Morgan with a light in her eyes, remembering the fun with family and friends at Como Springs, being the Drum Majorette for the Marching Band with Grandpa Butters as the Drum Major. recently she told me that she was Queen of the May....the most popular girl in school. A couple of years ago she told my boys a racy story about being a true red head, which was probably not true but fun none the less.......of course when I told Hayden about her being the Queen of the May, the most popular girl in school he said of course she was, she let those trumpet players know that she was a real red head......oh grandma is all I thought.
On October 23, 1933 she married N. Grant Butters her high school sweetheart. They lived in Green River Wyoming and eventually moved to Bountiful Utah where they raised their family and she lived until her death.

To me Grandma was the most beautiful lady there was inside and out. She was known for her flaming red hair, her flawless alabaster skin, and her razor sharp wit. The stories of her and her doings are legendary. She was not only quick with a witty comment, but quick to help and serve those around her.
Grandma served as a ward choir director for at least 40 years... she told me that when she was called she took a course on choir directing from a famous man in Salt Lake. She was an awesome chior director and musician. Her ward choirs were standing room only, everyone wanted to be directed and loved on by Eulala. Her love for music and singing didn't stop with the ward she was also a part of the Sweet Adalines and a nationaly famous, award winning Quartet "the Classics". I remember those 4 beautiful red heads singing harmonies at my home being choreographed by my mom. I loved to hear them sing. When I was 17 year old Grandma and Grandpa took Melinda, Krystin and Myself on a road trip to Northern California to see our cousin Cindy. On that trip Grandma and Grandpa thought it would easy to teach the three of us some simple harmonies ....."we will meet but we will miss him"....boy were they wrong. Melinda was the only one of us who got it, Krystin and myself were complete disasters. Several years later she encouraged my Mom Sheri and us girls. Melinda, Elizabeth, Angela, Adam's wife Christine and myself to form a singing group....and the Cole Collection was born. For several years we all sang together mostly at Christmas time. When Grandma joined with us to sing for a few years it was so much fun. she would tells us stories of her days singing with the quartet. One of my greatest joys sing happened when not only grandma was singing with us but my daughter Megan joined us as well, 4 generations singing together. I could go on and on with wonderful stories of my grandma.
Things that will always bring Grandma to mind are: Almonds, Sweet Aloha-diet pepsi/coke, Strawberries, Twizzlers licorice red & chocolate, Humbugs, roses, Choirs, Sunday Roast, Rolls, Bring and Brag dinners, Crossword puzzles, Creative game playing or cheating, Flocked Golden Christmas Tree, Rose Christmas Tree, Estee Lauder make-up, Red hair, Eating Hot Dogs in the old ZCMI basement, Grocery shopping, Swimming Pool, Contents of her Purse, turquoise paint on the flagstone patio..........
For 20 years I have had the honor of doing grandmas nails every two to three weeks. As I held her hands I learned about her, her past, her present and her hopes for the future. I was privileged at these times to listen to her wisdom and advice on marriage, motherhood, the church, the gospel, family, etc.... She would tell me of her sorrows and her joys. The best part was when she would tell me how proud she was of us, her family.

This is how I will always remember and think of my Grandma & Grandpa Butters.
For years Grandma and Grandpa were Dance Directors for the Church. They served on the General Board and that is where they met the couples that became the Bring and Brag group. Grandma always told me that Grandpa was the best dancer ever and all the girls in High School were jealous of her for getting to dance with Grant.
........I like to think of them now dancing together forever through eternity.



I love you Grandma and will miss you. I know that you are now happy to be reunited with Grandpa. That your old mortal body that was giving you pain is now gone, that your spirit is now perfect and free to truly be you.
May I always honor your memory by being a little bit like you in all that I do.
MCC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tribute, Marci.
My love to you and the family.

Melwel said...

Loved it....love the pics....love you