Tuesday, January 10

Yummm! Soup

As part of Operation 2012 I wanted to make nicer, better, more nutritious, new recipes for dinner. I know this won't happen very meal, but when it is possible I am going to do it.....my aim right now is
at least 2 times a week.
Last night I made a Taco Soup. I got the idea from a cookbook, but unfortunately I didn't have all of the required ingredients, so I did my own thing with what I had on hand and what sounded good.
The over all consensuses was that it is a keeper. Nelson said the flavor reminded him of Casa Melinda's salsa, and I have to agree that it did taste similar.
As a kid I loved Casa Melinda's salsa and so did my kids. It wasn't like other salsas, especially the homemade salsas we all make now, but it was perfect with a cup of finely grated cheese dumped into it. Casa Melinda's is long gone but the memories will last. It was my introduction to restaurant Mexican food as a kid; not to spicy, lots of cheese and always hot, finished off with a sopapia and honey butter....yum!
Megan thinks we could come up with the salsa now that we have a good start....we will have to try it out in the near future.......anyway, Here is my version of the recipe. 
I am calling it salsa soup in honor of the salsa we all loved as kids.

Salsa Soup
serves 8
1 yellow onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup celery diced
1/2 red/yellow or orange bell pepper cut into strips
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste
meat from1 rotisserie chicken
2 14.5 oz. cans petite died tomatoes with chilies
1 15 oz. can  tomato sauce
32 oz chicken stock
1/12 cups frozen corn
1 14 oz can black beans
1 Tbs. lime juice

In a large soup pot soften onion, garlic, celery and bell peppers in olive oil. Add cumin and salt and black pepper to taste.
Remove chicken meat from bones add to the onion mixture along with the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, corn, beans and lime juice. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and limes.

MCC

No comments: