Friday, September 11

Remembering

Today is 9/11...Patriots Day, a day anyone who was older than 5 probably remembers with great clarity. The news channels, papers, radio, even the on the Internet many have been remembering where they were when it happened....and honoring the fallen.

My memories surrounding 9/11
We are morning news program watchers. The Today Show was into its second hour when the first tower was hit....there was a special report that broke into the regular show they showed footage of an airplane hitting the World Trade Center......in June 2001 Gary, Jordan, myself and several members of the BHS choir had stood on top of one of the towers. At the time I commented to Gary, "Look at how close the airplanes are to us as the come up the river." then we watched several air planes get real close......so when they reported that a plane had hit one of the towers I really wasn't all that surprised......until it happened a second time.......then I was concerned that something had happened to the air traffic control system and was glad that Gary was at home for the week and not traveling.

On Larry King later that week as the enormity ofthis tragedy kept unfolding, Larry interviewed President Gordan B. Hinckley and asked him Why God would let this happen? Where is God? etc....... President Hinckley said "We don't know why. We don't understand everything, but we do know that our Father loves us and watches over us. We do know that life is not only that phase that we call mortality, that there is beyond this life another, which is as real and as certain as is the life that we now live. And that those who have go beyond will continue and will in fact make preparation for their loved ones who will follow. I have no doubt of this."
Larry also asked President Hinckley, if God couldn't have prevented this, and President Hinckley responded with "Oh, I suppose so. I believe he's all powerful, yes. I don't know His will. I don't know how He operates. His wisdom is greater than mine. He sees beyond what I see. But I have confidence, overwhelming confidence in the fact that He, who sees life, in its true and eternal sense will provide for those who suffer as these people have suffered as a result of this atrocity, which has been committed against the nation, which we love."
President Hinckley gave me reassurance, peace and comfort.

I am so sorry that bad things happen to good innocent people, but we knew that the bad was a possibility in the pre-existence. I don't know why things like this have to happen, but I do know, like President Hinckley, that I have a Heavenly Father who Loves all of us and has greater wisdom than mine and that He has allowed us the opportunity to choose for ourselves in this life...and sometimes those choices have horrible effects on others.......Justice will be served to the wrong doers.......but it is my responsibility to have Christ like love for everyone.........

Looking back at it all I can see that it is through this and other challenges, that these are the time when we remember God, and lean on the Lord.
What a sad time we live in that it takes tragedy for us to turn to Him......He is there for us always, in the good and bad times.
God Bless America.
MCC

No comments: