Tuesday, July 28

Book Looking

I am looking for some good reads for my book group.
I have to pick a book once a year for the group, but it has some parameters....not really set, but a standard assumed by the group. .....clean or christian books fare better than some of the modern stuff out there. We also like reading good Young Adult books, they are usually clean...nothing too graphic, or violent....
I feel so stifled. Not that I usually read inappropriate books, but come on.....The whole problem is that I will read just about anything. So, what I might select as a good book for the group may not be such a good book for the group; and since they are my friends I don't want to offend them and for them to think poorly of me. And then I worry about what might they tell their family, neighbors, co-workers and other friends about me all because I selected the wrong book.......oh the selecting of a book is not only stifling, but stressful.
At Bear Lake I read 4 books. All of them were different genres, all good, not great literature, but they were entertaining to read and for most book groups good selections. In the past 10 days I have read two more books and have started the third, a short series written by a christian author about 3 sisters living in Montana in the 1870's.... ah a christian book .....yes, and they are ok, but not book group worthy.
So what to read.....
A few years ago I selected A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It is a classic. Everyone had heard of it but very few had ever read it including myself. I really enjoyed it, as did the group. Last year I suggested that we select an author a time period or even genres to read. No one saluted that idea. I then thought it might be nice once again to read a classic; Jane Austin's Persuasion. Everyone reads or has read Sense and Sensibility and Emma tons of times and since Persuasion is not well known and is one of my favorite Jane's we read it...they liked it, but still aren't sold on the idea of reading a classic or something old.
The book I picked for March 2009 was The Master by Toni Sorenson. It is a fictionalization of the life of Christ. We all loved it.....it was a safe choice.
Now why am I caring so much? Well, a while back we read a book that I won't name, and let's just say that it was thought to be a bit much for some of the group members....I enjoyed it as did several other members, but those who did not will not let us forget that we read such and such a book, and that it was picked by so and so.......to crazy. We all make choices that are not the greatest, but we need to live and learn , not dwell on the poor choice...... it was just a book after all, put it down if you don't want to read it.
A few months ago I read Kate Jacobs The Friday Night Knitting Club and Comfort Food. I liked them both, but did I like them enough to use as a book group selection?????
MCC

1 comment:

Melwel said...

sarc,
love the knitting club books.....fun for ladies to read and talk about
Have you read, "These is my words?" pioneer story? I really liked it. Book group worthy.