Tuesday, February 7

New Recipes......White Chicken Enchiladas

So far the new recipe thing is going well. We are trying new things and loving it. It is forcing me to be a better meal planner and I actually look forward to making dinner.  Some days the food is definitely a keeper and other times I have learned a new cooking technique or what I would do differently another time if nothing else.
Today I made  White Chicken Enchiladas ...a great beginning.
I have been craving something like the Green Enchiladas I had growing up. Just a similar flavor not necessarily the same recipe.  So I began my search. I wanted to use chicken, corn tortillas and green chilies, the original recipe used corn tortillas but ground beef. Most recipes I found used flour tortillas and tomatillo sauce, which I wasn't opposed to but I like the taste and texture of corn tortilla. The other issue with the old recipe was that is seemed mild and I know my family likes a little more kick in their Mexican food...
I then stumbled on the Pioneer Woman's White Enchilada recipe....it sounded like a possible winner. So with a few modifications for our tastes I made it and boy it was cheesey, creamy,  but still a bit mild. Next time I will add more heat. The Cheese sauce is wonderful and would be great so many other ways.
We will be making this again....with more heat and I might even stew the chicken a little more with some spice.

MCC


White Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from the Pioneer Woman
6 Servings

2 Tbs. Canola Oil
12 Whole Corn tortillas
Heat 2 Tbs. oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Fry tortillas on at a time for 10 to 20 seconds, just to soften. Place tortillas on a large towel or stack of paper towels to drain.

1 Tbs. Canola oil
2 ½ Cups cooked, Shredded Chicken
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 large onion diced
3 - 4 oz. cans Green Chilies
1 whole jalapeno seeded and finely diced
1 tsp. paprika
 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
½ cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Flour
1 Cup Sour Cream
2 ½ Cups Monterey Jack Cheese grated
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)

Chicken Filling:
Heat 1 Tbs. oil in a skillet over medium heat; Add onions and jalapeno, sauté for 2 minute. Add Chicken and half of the green chilies, ½ tsp. paprika and ½ tsp. ground cumin. Stir together. Add ½ cup chicken broth and stir. Add heavy cram and stir, allowing mixture to bubble and gets hot. Turn off heat.

Cheese Sauce:
In another skillet melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together and cook over medium hear for one minute. Pour in 1 ½ cups chicken broth. Whisk together and cool for another minute or two. Stir in the remaining chilies and reduce heat. Stir in sour cream and 1 ½ cups of the grated cheese. Stir to melt together add ½ tsp paprika and ½ tsp ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste.

To assemble, spoon a large spoonful chicken mixture on top of a tortilla, top with cheese and roll up. Place seem side down in a 9x13 casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining 11 tortillas.
Pour cheese sauce over top of the tortillas. More cheese may be added if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minuets.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve

No comments: